Easy Ways to Keep Bees, Wasps, and Hornets Away from Your Swimming Pool
Last Updated 9/8/20
Your backyard is home to more than just your swimming pool. As a pool owner, you may have noticed that your water attracts different types of insects, including bees, hornets, and wasps. These insects are naturally drawn to big, open sources of water to drink from. Bees, wasps, and hornets have a hyperactive sense of smell and are commonly attracted to bodies of water that have strong odors, like a swimming pool. The chlorine or saltwater system used to sanitize your pool emits a strong odor that insects are attracted to when they need to cool down their hives in the summer season. Many are also enjoying backyard cookouts and fun that attract pests! If your swimming pool attracts pesky bees, wasps, or hornets, help protect your swimmers from stings with these three easy ways to keep them away from your water!
Avoid sweet fragrances
Since bees are attracted to floral and sugary smells, reducing fragrances when spending time around your pool is a good start.
- Consider planting flowers away from your pool and patio area to draw bees further away.
- Using unscented sunscreen and suntan lotions when swimming or sunbathing on the patio.
- If you shower before using the pool, use unscented shampoo. Or you can simply rinse off without a sweet-smelling soap. (This is a good way to get rid of perfume and hairspray smells before heading outdoors too!)
Keep things clean
While your backyard may be a fun spot for barbecues and cookouts, it’s important to properly clean up all your food and garbage afterward. Food and garbage can attract pesky wasps and yellow jackets.
- Put food away immediately after eating.
- Use containers and beverageware with lids — especially with sweet, sticky sodas, lemonades, and alcoholic beverages.
- Store outside garbage cans far away from the pool/patio area.
- Clean up spills quickly.
- Follow a proper cleaning and maintenance schedule for your pool.
Use deterring smells
There are certain scents that naturally deter bees, wasps, and other stinging insects. This includes lavender, citronella oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, and citrus (like lemon and lime).
- Rub some of these on your skin as appropriate as a natural repellant.
- Light citronella candles around your pool (carefully)!
- Place bowls of oil or citrus juice on your patio table and other places around the area.
You don’t have to wait for wasps and bees to become a problem before dealing with them. You can take a proactive approach to keep them away from your swimming pool.
- Look for nests around your house and yard.
- Purchase sprays and wasp repellants from your local store.
- Work with a pest control specialist to safely and completely remove nests.
There is no easier way to ruin a pool party or family staycation in the backyard than being bothered by buzzing insects. Help keep your swimmers safe and your pool area an oasis by using the above tips to keep these pesky insects away.
If you’ve got more questions about keeping bees, wasps, and other pests away from your pool, be sure to leave us a comment and check out the resources below! Also, be sure to check out our selection of pool covers, which come in handy for keeping all types of unwanted visitors out of your pool — including bees and other flying insects!