Everything You Need to Know About Solar Pool Covers
Want to quickly and efficiently heat your pool without spending extra money on utilities? If that sounds like a good deal, then a solar pool cover might be a great option for you! We get a lot of questions about these awesome pool covers each summer, so we thought we’d share some insights:
- How do solar pool covers work?
- Do solar pool covers actually work?
- What is the best color for a solar pool cover?
- How much do solar pool covers typically cost?
- How to store a solar cover
- How do I keep a solar pool cover from blowing off?
- What size solar cover do I need?
- Do the bubbles go up or down on a solar pool cover?
- What are the benefits of using a solar cover for my swimming pool?
- Where can I buy a solar pool cover?
How do solar pool covers work?
Solar pool covers harness the power of the sun to help heat your pool. The cover looks similar to bubble wrap and the tiny bubbles work together to collect and retain heat from the sun’s rays. The heat is then delivered to the water, effectively heating your pool.
Do solar pool covers actually work?
Absolutely! These solar pool covers have been proven to raise your pool water temperature by 15 degrees — without using any additional heat source. Most pool owners find solar pool covers to be a great investment.
What is the best color for a solar pool cover?
Solar blankets come in many colors, but clear and blue covers tend to be the most common. Which color is best for your pool depends on your goals and personal preferences.
Because they’re translucent, clear solar covers allow more light and energy to access the water, so you may see more of a temperature increase. However, it works the opposite way as well, so more heat escapes and your pool may not retain the heat for as long. Dark blue covers, on the other hand, allow less energy to pass through, so the temperature change often isn’t quite as dramatic, but the pool retains the heat longer. If you’re looking for a good balance between heat absorption and retention, consider a light blue solar cover.
How much do solar pool covers typically cost?
They’re not as expensive as most people think. You can generally find a solar pool cover for between $100-$250. Here at LinerWorld, our solar blankets start at $112. Features like size and the thickness (mil) of the liner will impact the price.
How do I store a solar pool cover?
Properly storing your solar cover at the end of the outdoor pool season is essential if you want to prevent damage and replacement costs.
- Lay the cover out on a flat area (grass preferred) and hose it down.
- Let it dry completely. You can use a leaf blower to speed up the drying process. Don’t let it air dry for too long in the sun as it can burn/damage your grass.
- Once dry, fold it up and place it into a container with a secure lid to prevent animals and debris from causing damage.
- Follow all manufacturer instructions. In most cases, you just use water and no special cleaners are required.
How do I keep a solar pool cover from blowing off?
Generally, solar covers grip pretty well on the water surface and do not require anything to weigh them down or prevent blowing. If you’re having problems with it, contact a pool specialist, like LinerWorld.
What size solar cover do I need?
You want to get a solar blanket that covers the entire pool so there’s no room for heat to escape. To figure out the right size, measure your swimming pool from the longest and widest points. If you look at your pool like a clock face, generally you’ll measure from 12 to 6 and 9 to 3. When in doubt, bigger is better. Solar covers can generally be cut to fit.
Do the bubbles go up or down on a solar pool cover?
The bubble side goes down on a solar pool cover. The heat gets trapped in the bubbles, so this allows more surface area of the cover and the bubbles to touch the water and heat it up!
What are the benefits of using a solar cover for my swimming pool?
There are lots of benefits of using a solar cover! Let’s look at a few of the biggest ones.
- It’s a cost-effective way to heat your pool and retain the heat longer. You’re not paying for any additional utility expenses.
- It’s environmentally friendly. The sun is a powerful renewable resource!
- Keeps bugs and debris out. In addition to heating your pool, it’ll also help keep unwanted pests and debris out when the pool isn’t in use.
- Fewer chemicals. Because it’s keeping dirt and debris out of your pool, you’ll need fewer chemicals and cleaning to keep the water sanitary and balanced. That’ll save you money and time!
- Reduces water evaporation. The cover helps keep water from escaping your pool, so you’ll have to do less filling throughout the summer and use less water overall.
Where can I buy a solar pool cover?
We’ve got you covered! LinerWorld has round and oval-shaped solar pool covers in various sizes and colors. Click below to check out our full selection.
Of course, if you have any more questions about solar pool liners, don’t hesitate to leave a comment or connect with us on Facebook. We’re always happy to help!
The Complete Swimming Pool Safety Guide
Above Ground Pool Covers
Extend Your Outdoor Pool Season for Weeks (or Months) with these Tips!
How to Save Money on Swimming Pool Heating Costs